"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Thursday, November 7, 2013

STARS COMPLETE! WHEW!


Here they are, all 10!  Each participant selected their color scheme and the location of the Kona white was fixed by the hostess.  But after that, it was up to the maker.  There are two blocks for each.  So with making two of your own, you'll have 12 blocks in your colorway to work with.  I requested Christmas red/green/gold.  I'll show you what I received when they come.

I improved my point matching in the process, but I sure hope I'm not sending to any quilt police!  I have a ways to go with that learning curve on blocks with 72 pieces each.  Paper piecing helps the accuracy, but geesh!  72 pieces in one block?  They are 12".

The swap was coordinated by Bea Quilter.  She modified the Persian Star pattern from Women of the Bible Quilt, enlarging it and leaving off an applique center.  I will check with Bea and Carol H. about sharing the pattern, as several have asked.

I made these entirely from stash -- FQs and smaller.  Why is it when you pull stash scraps, the volume gets larger, not smaller.  Oh and my creative mind is so messy!  This is what my studio looks like at the end of this project.

 
 
 
I can hear friend Carol saying, yes, that's how it always looks.  And friend Jodi saying tsk, tsk.  I need to pull fabric for one more scrappy project - Nan's round robin border - and also for an art quilt class.  Then the studio is getting a thorough cleaning/tidying.  Geesh!  What a wreck!
 
Art quilt class?????  What was I thinking?  That is so out of my norm.  But it's the only international teacher my guild has coming this year, so I'm doing it.  S-t-r-e-t-c-h!  At least I won't have to worry about matching up points!  And Jodi is in it with me, and it's even more a reach for her.

6 comments:

Lakegaldonna said...

Hi Pat

Love those blocks. The 72 pcs is definitely worth the effect! I love the secondary patterns that emerge when they are placed together.
After doing a DJ I am not longer about the make it fast, it's the journey and learning.

Wacky Woman said...

Great blocks Pat. You will love your art class. I find what I resist most, I end up liking best.

Marie said...

Your 'creative mind' is making me feel very normal. I'm always amazed at how I just pile fabric upon fabric as I work. Just can't wait to get it cut and sewn, I guess. Nice work on the stars and I'm certain that it feels great to have it all from the stash.

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, the stars are amazing. What fun to work with Bea on a block swap. And what a glorious work space. I so relate. It looks like great creation went on there. My grandpa always said children who were dirty at the end of the day had had a really good day. I think the same is true for a creative space, mess = creative joy

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, the stars are amazing. What fun to work with Bea on a block swap. And what a glorious work space. I so relate. It looks like great creation went on there. My grandpa always said children who were dirty at the end of the day had had a really good day. I think the same is true for a creative space, mess = creative joy

Nancy said...

Pat, Your scraps and photo looks like my scraps and sewing area (if I took a photo)! For the past 2 yrs. I have been saying I need to tidy and organize. But I just keep getting swept up with more interesting projects to do--like the Persian Star blocks (I see mine in the top). Can't wait to see the photo of all of yours that you get. Will post all mine next week. (patchworkbreeze.blogspot.com)