"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Friday, November 1, 2013

DIA DE LOS MUERTOS

Nov. 1 is All Saints/Souls Day to me, when we honor those who passed before us.  In Mexican tradition it is called Dia de los Muertos -- Day of the Dead. 

In honor of this holiday, our guild had us dig out the skeletons in our closets -- yes, our oldest UFOs -- for show and tell  Too fun.




Here's mine, an applique Santa from about 1991 or 92.  I think.  I know it was near Desert Storm time and it was a kit from Keepsake Quilting.  What is really funny is that all necessities are in the baggie.  The pages have yellowed, but check out that Dual Duty cranberry thread I was using for needle turn applique!  Geepers!



In my defense, I was living in Saudi Arabia at the time, and probably used whatever thread I could find to match.  There's also a neat spool of 100% cotton thread from France.  I'm sure that's from Al Zamil's.


I was just learning to use freezer paper for applique, and look.....   It is still ironed on after 20+ years!!!


Here's how far I got back then before it got boxed up and put into storage for years.  Hmmm.............  Maybe I should finish it for this year.

The oldest UFO and grand prize winner, was a quilt top our guild president made in 1976, her first year of teaching.  She traced and embroidered each 2nd grader's hand print, and added their names.  The top is all complete, but not quilted.

So, what's hiding in your closet?  Do you have any skeletons?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pat,, I enjoy following your blog..loved the story about the UFO..I have lots of those too and it is so fun to drag one out and see your skills then and how they are now..sometimes improve some have slipped LOL my oldest UFO is only back to 1991 from when I started quilting
Josie
Thread R Us

Cyn said...

Good one!